Machete attacker jailed: associate of Mark Richardson targeted in violent assault

By Benjamin Harrison

A member of a gang that carried out a machete attack on an associate of underworld figure Mark Richardson has been sentenced to more than five years in prison, underscoring continued concerns about organized violence across Scotland. The case — part of a wider probe into clashes in Edinburgh and Glasgow — lays bare how quickly disputes can spill into residential neighbourhoods.

Anthony Brown, 50, was handed a term of five years and three months at the High Court in Glasgow after admitting his role in the ambush on businessman David McMillan outside his home in the upmarket Pitcairn Grove in Edinburgh in May 2025.

What happened

Prosecutors say the assault took place shortly after 9.15pm on May 22, when a Land Rover Discovery returned to the street, turned and then stopped outside McMillan’s detached property. Several masked occupants left the vehicle armed with blades and attacked on the pavement.

A security guard employed to watch the house intervened, swinging a crowbar and shouting for the attackers to stop. The assailants fled in the vehicle and the victim, who at first refused to go to hospital, later required treatment for fractures and head injuries after being stopped by police driving erratically.

Sentences and investigation

Brown pleaded guilty to attacking McMillan with others, causing severe injury, permanent scarring and risking his life. Lady Drummond, who imposed the sentence, said the assault was a planned and violent act carried out as part of a longstanding feud between rival groups.

  • Defendant: Anthony Brown, 50 — sentenced to 5 years 3 months; subject to three years’ supervision on release.
  • Driver: Joshua Stewart, 21 — jailed for 3 years 8 months; one year of supervision on release.
  • Other sentences: Arran Reid, 27 — previously sentenced to 8 years 4 months in December for involvement.
  • Operation: The arrests formed part of Operation Portaledge, the wider investigation into violence across Edinburgh and Glasgow last year.

The court heard Brown has an extensive past record including two earlier high court terms. His lawyer acknowledged Brown became involved in a “much publicised” incident and rejected any suggestion he was acting purely in self-defence, while also saying he had no prior links to the principal organisers of the feud.

Evidence and the victim’s response

Court proceedings included CCTV footage of the attack, which the judge described as brutal. McMillan, who has known associations with Mark Richardson, initially declined to give a police statement and chose not to go to hospital immediately because of concerns for his family’s safety.

Later that night, however, police detained a vehicle in which he was travelling and he was taken for treatment. Medical reports recorded fractures and wounds to his skull and left forearm; the court was told he suffered permanent disfigurement.

Wider implications

Prosecutors did not apply for a serious crime prevention order in Brown’s case, a measure sometimes used to monitor and restrict offenders after release. Lady Drummond nevertheless noted Brown played a central role in the assault, shaping the court’s assessment of culpability and punishment.

The sentencing closes a further chapter in an inquiry that has already led to multiple convictions and highlighted the use of vehicles and weapons in organized attacks in residential areas. Police and prosecutors say continued vigilance and targeted investigations are needed to prevent such incidents.

Key figures mentioned in court included prosecutor Caroline MacBride and defence counsel Marco Guarino. The case remains part of ongoing efforts by Scottish authorities to disrupt gang-related violence and bring those responsible to justice.

4.5/5 - (20 votes)
Read also  Life-Changing Alert: You Could be Unknowingly Sitting on a M Powerball Ticket!

Leave a Comment

Partages