Irvine beach murder: teen sent graphic life-threatening text to Kayden Moy before attack

By Benjamin Harrison

Jurors at the High Court in Glasgow heard on Thursday that an 18-year-old accused of murder allegedly sent a menacing social-media message naming the 16-year-old victim a month or two before the fatal stabbing at Irvine Beach. The testimony, given as the trial continues, underscores the prosecution’s case that threats and group hostility preceded the attack.

Prosecutors say Kayden Moy was killed on 17 May 2025. Two teenagers — an 18-year-old, Jay Stewart, and a 15-year-old — are on trial accused of taking part in the attack, while an 18-year-old, Cole Turley, has already admitted murder. Stewart has also been charged with behaving in a threatening or abusive manner towards a witness.

Evidence presented this week included pre-recorded police interviews and live courtroom statements from friends who were with Mr Moy that evening. One witness, Jay McGarry — who also gives his name as Mooney — told the court he received a direct message on Instagram in March or April 2025 from an account linked to Stewart that contained violent threats aimed at Kayden and his friends.

McGarry described the message as explicitly threatening, naming Kayden and warning of severe physical harm. Defence counsel questioned whether the message referred to Mr Moy; McGarry said it did.

Keryn Knox, 19, who was Kayden Moy’s girlfriend and present at the beach, gave an emotional account of the moments after the assault. She said Kayden ran toward a sand dune where the other group had been, slipped when confronted with a knife, and was stabbed twice in the left lower side. She described seeing him become pale and lose colour to his lips as people tried to help.

Read also  Old Beatles' Song Revived After Half Century? The Unbelievable Story

Emergency services, including an air ambulance, arrived and bystanders assisted before he was taken from the scene, but Kayden subsequently died.

What the court heard

The trial has focused on how the parties met up and what happened immediately before the attack. Witnesses said stones were thrown at the group as they attempted to leave the area, and that Stewart, Turley and the 15-year-old were on or near the dunes where the confrontation occurred.

McGarry told jurors he fled the beach after rocks were thrown but could not identify which of the three had thrown them. He later went to Knox’s father’s house, where he said she was distraught after being told Kayden had died.

Turley pleaded guilty to murder before the trial began. Stewart and the 15-year-old have lodged a special defence of incrimination, pointing to Turley’s admitted role. Prosecutors, however, say the pair pursued Mr Moy to the ground and repeatedly stabbed him, acting with prior malice.

  • Date of death: 17 May 2025 — Irvine Beach.
  • Accused: Jay Stewart (18) and a 15-year-old, both standing trial; Cole Turley (18) pleaded guilty to murder.
  • Key witness evidence: Instagram threats received months before the attack; eyewitness accounts describing stones being thrown and a stabbing on the dunes.
  • Additional allegations: Attempting to pervert the course of justice and threatening behaviour among other charges.

Court documents and testimony also refer to rivalry between youth groups in Lanarkshire. Prosecutors say Stewart, Turley and the 15-year-old were linked to one group, while McGarry and others were associated with a rival circle; defence teams have not accepted the prosecution’s narrative of joint action.

Legal teams presented different explanations for events and for the messages on social media. The prosecution is relying on witness testimony and digital evidence to support its account; the defence has signalled it will point to Turley’s guilty plea as central to their argument.

Why this matters now

The case highlights how online threats can form part of a criminal inquiry and how pre-incident messaging may be used as evidence of intent or hostility in court. It also raises wider questions for communities and police about youth violence, escalating disputes and the role of social media in feeding those tensions.

The trial continues before Judge Lord Scott, with further evidence and cross-examination expected in the coming days.

4.7/5 - (19 votes)

Leave a Comment

Partages